Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Importance of Beating Ernest.


My senior year of high school, I had an English teacher who graded me particularly harshly. On my midterm paper on A Farewell to Arms she slashed through the title page with an injunction to "Stay away from Hemingway!". I think she thought she was being glib. I just thought she was being mean. This picture reminds me of her. Not only for the strong resemblance she bore to your standard kettle stirrer, but also because I've a hunch she would have scrolled something similar across any of my rooftop drawings. "Try to escape the cityscape!". "If it's in the trees, hold back your B's! (pencils, that is)". "Avoid the gables, if you're able!".
I ignore her now as I did then.

1 comment:

alanna said...

giant spectral witches... absolutely gorgeous. That's the third time i got to use the word spectral today. Don't you love it when that happens.