Friday, February 04, 2005

To pasture.

Doesn't look much like a Peter Pan. I may have sabotaged myself with that Little Boy Blue remark.

But I'm not fooling anyone. I know less about Pan than I do about Alice. Not the god Pan. I know oodles about him. For instance, I know one of the many Pan-origin stories has him born of Penelope's infidelities with all of her suitors and that Odysseus, upon his return to Ithaca, turned on his heel and left in disgust at seeing the abomination. Or that he is the son of Hermes. Or the foster brother of Zeus. Or that he invented the pan-pipes because one of his reluctant loves had turned herself into a reed. Or that the word panic may very well be derived from the shout he gave to rout the titans in the war of the gods (okay, that one I had to look up).

But Peter Pan? Forgetaboutit. Something about Kensington Gardens. Or about kidnapping the Darling great-grandchildren. Or maybe that was Dustin Hoffman.

1 comment:

sarah said...

mmm . . . peanut butter samwich.