Tuesday, January 09, 2007

OklahOma-oklahOma-oklahOma!!!

Listening to the Flaming Lips "Do You Realize?" the other day and a strange pronunciation struck me. The word doesn't, doubly contracted into near nonsense.

Ex: "The sun d'n't go down."

It comes out as dunt, and reminded me so much of my Okie-bred sister in law that I had to investigate. Sure enough, the band is from Oklahoma City--ten miles from Mari's hometown, and apparently the seat of Vigorous Apostrophe-ing.

All very adorable. Just don't get her started on the word heighth.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Don't get _her_ started? Don't get _me_ started.

Johnny said...

What is there to get started?

It isn't a word. Period.

End of conversation.

Greg said...

We're done here.
Fin.
Exeunt.
Scene.
Let no more be said.
I'm shelfing this topic.
End Communique.
Seacrest Out.
Courage.
That's all folks.
We're done h...