Wednesday, May 10, 2006

"I have given you a present already, more than I could afford."



I can't say that I'm pleased with the first attempt. Neither could someone else, which made for a sullen evening. I can offer some excuses. Like my fingers were twitching the entire time--some sort of dark sympathy for the character. Or that art doesn't lend itself well to murder--but that's just ridiculous. Or that I didn't give the subject its due--which hits nearer the mark.

In fact, that last has me regretting a week spent sketching outside in the irresistable weather. My legs are burned, my feet are dirty, and my ideas are all bleached out. Nothing looks good in the full light of day anyway. Or, for that matter, illuminated onscreen. So, I'm going to search out denser methods, more robust colors--maybe dabble in layers of ink. And slip away for a while until I think I can stand the glare.

6 comments:

Mike Garvey said...

I like the tree. You can see it growing.

Studying outside is never good either. I hate reading about theft and arsen and, yeah, even murder out in the sun where these evils seem so implausable.

Greg said...

I give up. What's the source material on this one? All I can think of is Bridge to Terabithia.

Jess said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jess said...

here's a hint. that little guy with the ring is just about to get his neck wrung.

Greg said...

Oh, I didn't even see the ring. Ok. I get it now. Why the deleted comment? Were you making swears at me?

Jess said...

blogger was being fussy. no swears--just a repeat comment.