Thursday, December 30, 2004

Be quick.

offhand, this is what I have:
Jack be nimble.
Jack Sprat.
Jack Frost.
Jack and Jill.
Jack and the beanstalk.
Jack in the box.
Jack in the pulpit.
Jack in the green. (green jack)
Jack of all trades.

There's something in the name. Not just something, lots of things. From what I found it denotes either commonness (apparently a popular name of the early peasantry in Britain) or smallness (chips in gambling were called jacks, the smallest English coin was nicknamed jack, the small lower flag on ships was a jack--think Union Jack).

So, to my mind, it seems the perfect tag for the scruffy rural lads that dot the landscape of Nursery Rhyme. Luv-er-ly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess, I was looking around for information about Fraser Fir Christmas Trees and found your Be quick. post. It's not bang on what I was looking for but it was a good read so I'm glad I found it! I can see why it showed up when I searched on the term Fraser Fir Christmas Trees. Thanks a lot and I'll stop by again :-)