Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Is there a dress code or something?

I recently accomplished something I never thought I would. After browsing the aisles of our local Cool Music Store, I selected my cds and walked to the counter. Now, the layman knows that a certain cautious reverence must be used in dealing with the cashiers at Such a Place. Only here do the rules of customer service hold no sway. You are the outsider, the unwelcome, and must approach these college-aged, bespectacled figures as a supplicant. So, eyes averted, careful not to brush his fingers when handing over my card, I waited tensely in front of The Boy, knowing my place.

But something happened right then. He handed me my bag over the printing receipt, looked up at me and, in the hushed tones of the initiated, said "Did you see G___ when they were last up here?". And this is where I took my chance. Rather than retreat and shrug, I put on my best gossip face. "No," I breathed in, "and I totally missed them when they were just in Pittsburgh". He made a soft sympathetic sound, but I was IN. He leaned forward, "Yeah, they played with M___. It was great of M__ to play here, too." Me: "Wow, I love M___".

And with that I proudly shouldered my new status and walked outside, grinning ear to ear.

No comments: