Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Pass the pine nuts, if you will, Charles.

When I was a kid my favorite toy was a stuffed log house. It was inhabited by the Beavers and came complete with painted walls and windows and foodstuffs. The Beavers sat at wooden trestles and ate from acorn buckets. Swept with twig brooms. Dressed in suitably modest rural garb. Squeaked when pinched.
It was completely reasonable to four year old me that all animals went to such homes, donned similar clothes for sitting at their tables and finishing their chores.

The notion has never escaped me. I have since been wholly unable to represent our woodland friends participating in anything but the most urbane activities.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jess! this is lisa. i HAD the little stuffed beaver family in the log house! i LOVED that so much... so much that i am tempted to go onto ebay right now and see if i can find one. gotta go :)