Monday, March 21, 2005

"When is a legend legend? Why is a myth a myth?"

Watched Dragons: Fantasy Made Real last night. (Was there really any doubt?) I can only assume that the homeboys at Animal Planet finally caved to their dark-side desires and decided to use the Walking With Dinosaurs technology strictly for evil.

The premise was interesting enough. What would happen if scientists uncovered a dragon corpse? (Aside from me filling my knapsack and heading off to the Carpathians). Pretty cool. Good graphics. Good artists. It was narrated by Patrick Stewart who, though I adore, made me twitchy and uncomfortable with an overly lusty commentary on dragon mating habits. Homeboys so wanted Sean Connery, I'm sure. I would have been happy with Peter MacNicol.

Despite its general nerdiness and the misgivings of others, I enjoyed it. Perfect combination of basic fable, bullshit science, and just about every B-quality, Dragonlance, Dragonbane, Dragonsmack novel out there. Sorry to say, my couch companion was not as satisfied. Probably due less to the show than to the fact that every time I beat the narrator to the punch, I became increasingly insufferable with my "you know it"s and "yeah boy-eee"s. I'm charming like that.

I knew all that Anne McCaffrey would pay off.

No comments: