Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Talking Bird.


"Give me leave to rest myself; and do me the favour to tell me if you have not heard that there are somewhere in this neighbourhood a Talking Bird, a Singing Tree, and Golden Water."

From The Arabian Nights. I don't suppose it counts as idolatry if it predates Mohammed. But I've a notion that the cultural climate of pre-Islamic Persia wasn't all that different from that of post- --and that a woman caught slinking around in men's clothing was pretty much put to death. It's a good thing roadside dervishes weren't in the habit of running and squealing on every adventurous princess who came their way.

4 comments:

GabsOSteel said...

That's real purty horsie in the background. Seriously though, you should draw more animals. Lots more.

Jess said...

thankee. but it's only a horse's ass. I've got those down pretty well by now.

Mike Garvey said...

And you'll never know how much I appreciate that.

Jess said...

(wink.)