Thursday, April 27, 2006

God damn dirty...

I got yelled at by a homeless guy on my run today. Not a true barrage, but there was arm-waving and a definite lunge. A dispute was raging over (literally) a garbage can and amidst a string of bumspeak the larger and more prickly of the two turned to me and yelled "Did you put her up to this???". I made a sprint for the bridge. Dude stayed put, but it did wonders for my pace.

But the emergence has started. The first few have pulled themselves from wherever they've been wedged (churches, basements, I've got some theories about warm air pockets in the mud by the pond). Now, I enjoy the odd thrashing of the trash, but it's best to stay clear of the punchy spring bums. They're nervy with the thaw and tempers are running high with the initial turf skirmishes. By mid-summer, lines will be drawn, benches marked, and things will mellow. By August you'll have to peel them off the Wilson Farms parking lot with a knife. For now, I keep my jacket full of stones and pepper.

3 comments:

I. Myte said...

The random nature of hitting the 'next blog' button just tickles me so.
And just scanning a few posts or yours has tickled me also.
Quite enjoyable. And pleasant also to give a shout out to someone who lives in my former home town. Don't ask how long ago. But very fond memories of the place, a veritable winter wonderland to a 6-7 year old.
Ah yes, there I go with my sentimental soft spot for my roots, relatives and memories in Upstate New York.
Also, so gratifying and encouraging to see what 'self-taught' can do when it comes to drawing and painting. Maybe there's even hope for me.
But as for you, my God. My compliments to the teacher and the student. You're both very, very good. Take care, Buffalo. Oh, also. If Blockbuster is giving you the blues on selection, think of trying Netflix. There selection is incredibly comprehensive as is their service. Had misgivings about mail order rental, but now, there is no other way.

I. Myte said...

* "Their selection ..."

Jess said...

much appreciated compliment!