Monday, September 25, 2006

Of toadstool salt and pepper shakers.


As requested, though (as ever) not strictly to specifications.

I look at it and think 'kitchen god's wife'--not in the Amy Tan sense (but what a title!). I was going for citrus and ended up with vintage rust. I wanted energy and instead was left with the smell of stale nutmeg. With colors that are just begging to ransack the walls around my great grandmother's green fridge and burrow behind her black lacquered cookie jars.

Maybe I've mislabled my Woman Sitting and Staring. But maybe not. For what else is the bride of a hearthgod to do with her days? Nothing. Nothing but wind ribbons in her hair and rub the spines of old cookbooks and tiptoe around those piles of soot he leaves for her as small stabs at affection. So she stays named.

And next time I'll settle with a cryptic shade of green.

1 comment:

GabsOSteel said...

you draw lovely feet. and i'm all for the green, cryptic or otherwise. bring it on!