Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sweet baby Mab.

Her chariot is the empty hazel-nut
Made by the joiner squirrel or old grub,
Time out o' mind the fairies coachmakers.
And in this state she gallops night by night...

I wasn't sure if I should send this out of the dining room and into the nursery considering the outcry received by Baa Baa Black Sheep and the Mask of Death. And now that I re-read the Shakespeare, I'm near-convinced that it's the last thing you'd want hovering over a baby's crib, with its talk of elflocks and dreams of Spanish blades. But I figured that, despite those oversized leg spines and dangerous beaks, bumblebees and hummingbirds are about as safe as things get. Incorruptable from even my impertinent pens.

And well, shit. In all the excitement, I forgot about the "grey-coated gnat" wagoner. (Always arm yourself with the passage!). Though since it's been done I've been going around beating the word "atomie" into exhaustion like any fool. But really, only to myself and the lil' 'uns hiding in the crabgrass out front.

1 comment:

lisa said...

Queen Maeve LOVES it!