Friday, May 27, 2005

Always three there are.

A tepid version. I may need to bite the bullet and invest in a new scanner.

And I discovered what had unnerved me about the garbage truck tableau. It was incomplete. Goddesses come in triad. Maiden, Mother, Crone. Artemis, Demeter, Hecate. Always, they correspond to phases of the moon--full, sickle, dark. Less often, they are tagged with certain colors--white, red, black. (Anyone fortunate enough to have read The Neverending Story, or unfortunate enough to have seen The Neverending Story: Part II, might have noticed this. White haired Moon Child, redheaded Xayide, and Dame Eyola who turns into a black tree are perfect examples. The Germans are nothing if not thorough.).

So, it dawned on me. Our sanitation vehicle is missing a Red Queen.

Anyone have any sultry, disembodied redheads laying around? No Raggedy Anns.

3 comments:

Greg said...

Damn, I posted to your pic before reading this.

The Maiden, Mother and Crone sometimes blend the middle role as a sort of common ground. The crone can be cruel but matronly and protective; the maiden can be naive but sweet and nurturing.

Baba's light aspect I believe was "Sophie". She'd be the non-grotesque head.

Jess said...

awesome. I didn't know about the sophie aspect. aphrodite is a similar goddess--often wearing two faces, the well-known sex-pot, but also a blood-soaked death aspect.
I had totally forgotten about baba's horsemen, too. VERY cool.

Jess said...

oh, the story with those Biliban pictures of the riders is "vasilisa the fair". really good shit.