Monday, May 23, 2005

Necessity breeds stupidity.

To clarify things, another Hansel and Gretel pic. Not quite what I imagined, and I'm still wracking my brains and my number two's on how to differentiate between little stones and little breadcrumbs.

But I suppose that they cast both at some point in the story, so there's my reprieve. I never understood why two children on the brink of starvation would choose to throw their food away in hopes of it leading them back to an abusive home. Especially considering that the stones had worked so well on the first attempt. I'm also at a loss as to how pocketsfull of pearls were going to help a family so obviously removed from civilization, whose only neighbors were the "thousands of birds of the forest", a crazed confectioner, and an excessively large duck. What good were baubles to people hacking out life on the Uzbakistani frontier? They would have done better to dismantle the witch's home and hunker down for a winter of toothaches. Or even better, develop a craft and start setting nets for the birds. At the very least, lead the duck home and enjoy one healthy meal. But wit does not seem to run in the forester's family.

I foresee approximately two hours of jubilation followed by endless dinners of poached sapphire and boiled ruby stew.

No comments: