Thursday, October 20, 2005

Custom concern.

Yesterday afternoon I passed some kid who'd been hit by a car. I wasn't there when it happened, but I did see him sprawled on the ground by his bike. He was surrounded by half a dozen people on cell phones and he was bleeding from the face. Cars had been pulled onto lawns, so at least it wasn't a hit and run. I don't know why I feel for the driver in these situations. Probably because I see a lot of stupid kids on bikes exploding across streets like they're god.

I didn't do anything. I have no cell. I'm not a doctor. I don't know CPR. I'm not even good at pretending concern. And everyone seemed to have it covered. I kept walking, figuring it would all be cleaned up by the time I circled back. Nothing left to blemish the pretty afternoon. Just fresh scrubbed pavement. And I was right.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Problem with a lot of cyclists is they demand their space on the road, but refuse to obey the rules that come with it. They slide between cars and ride through red lights as they please all amdist heavy traffic.