Monday, October 10, 2005

Thumb screws.

A couple of corrections before someone in blogworld gives me the smackdown:

-Bloody Mary and Mary of Scots were two different women, the nursery rhymes deal with the former. If I had paid attention in that awful class instead of passing notes, I would have known this, but how can a professor with a French last name really be trusted with a course called The British Monarchy?
-"silver bells" and "maids" may instead have been metaphors for church bells and nuns, in keeping with the Catholic theme. But I prefer to give 16th century Brits credit for a more grisly inventiveness, so I'll be sticking with instruments of toture until someone actually does correct me.

1 comment:

goose said...

Jess,
Ah yes my sadistic friend!! Good call with the torture devices of Mary Tudor. The 'cockle-shells' near as I remember were as you stated a device involving some nasty bits of metal that were used in a non-pleasant way on one's genitalia and produced lots and lots of non-joyous moments.