Friday, January 06, 2006

Halloween orange.

We came home to drama. It seems that the one instance where you're allowed to parade the street in slippers and pajamas is when neighboring houses are in flames.

Everything is fine. I think. The street is plugged with fire trucks and ambulances and with Buffalo's finest who appear to have things under control. I got to see how the system works and why there's a required fifteen foot parking distance from hydrants. There's a crowd of tired people and hyper dogs (no dalmations). There are some grim looking firemen and two engorged hoses are snaking their way down the road.

I'm still rolling on four pints of Bass but, boy, do some of our neighbors look scary without their makeup.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I smelled the smoke on my way home, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Scary. Was it very close to your place?

Jess said...

About a dozen houses down. Close enough. The hydrant is right in front of our place, so we had a lot of activity. Our landlady slept through the whole thing.

Peter said...

Is that why there was a news van and a police car blocking the street at 4:30 this afternoon when I was trying to go to Jim Lang's?

Jess said...

yep. the place is a shell. and some guy died. and I had to stand and talk to our neighbors half-drunk.